- Chinese Name Rou Cong Rong 肉苁蓉
- Latin Name Cistanche deserticola Y. C. Ma
- Other Names Cistanche salsa, Cistanche tubulosa, Cistanche sinensis, Cistanche ambigua, Cistanche lusitanica, Cistanche lutea
- Used Part Stem
- Specification Powdered Extract
Cistanche Stem Extract Powder
Cistanche (Rou Cong Rong) — Desert Ginseng / Natural Viagra
Cistanche, also known as Rou Cong Rong in mandarin, has long been considered one of the best Chinese herbs to strengthen kidneys, tonify Yang, and benefit essence and blood. It was once a routine demanded imperial tribute in ancient dynasties.
This herb mainly comes from the Western Regions and resembles ginseng on healing properties. Hence, it is prized as the “desert ginseng.”
In recent years, thanks for the unique efficacy for fatigue and sexual potency, this tonic herb was given another title – “natural Viagra.” That sounds like this is a kidney yang tonic for men only. In fact, it works for women and children as well since it is not that tonic as people think it should be.
Just like the cistanche reviews from Li Shizhen, it is named Cong Rong, literally “unhurried”, because it tonifies in a mild way. That being said, it tonifies while causing no endogenous heat and, more importantly, helps free movement of bowels. This is the exact uniqueness makes this herb what it is. No wonder it is one of the most widely used kidney tonic herbs of all time. And what is cistanche used for is more than just as one of jing tonic herbs.
Besides of ED (erectile dysfunction), it also has a therapeutic effect for women’s infertility, excessive uterine bleeding, myoma of uterus, low back pain, and more.
1) Free bowel movement. It can significantly improve the speed of intestinal propulsion, shorten the bowel transit time, and obviously inhibit the large intestine’s absorption of water. As a result it can moisten the feces and stimulate evacuation of feces.
2) Enhance immune function. Its polysaccharides have a significant impact on the formation and activity of human lymphocytes. It can increase the proliferative response of lymphocytes, and thereby enhance the body’s immune function.
3) Adjust the circulatory system. It can protect the ischemic myocardium, lower blood fat levels, prevent atherosclerosis, stop thrombosis, reduce peripheral vascular resistance, expand peripheral vessel, lower blood pressure, protect the liver, and eliminate fatty liver.
4) Treat kidney-deficiency amenorrhea. It is rich in alkaloids, crystalline neutral substance, amino acids, trace elements, vitamins and other ingredients. It works as a yang herb as well as a jing herb, which can prevent the occurrence of yang deficiency and weight loss. Hence, it can effectively prevent and treat kidney-deficiency induced impotence, nocturnal emission, premature ejaculation, menstruation, amenorrhea, infertility and other diseases.
5) Defy aging. Cistanoside is an ingredient found only in cistanches and one of the most effective anti-aging ingredients. So, it can improve memory and slow the aging process on the pituitary gland, gonads, thymus and other parts of the human body.
6) Increase libido in men and women. It acts as one of potency herbs or aphrodisiac since it contains acteoside, salidroside and other chemical ingredients that can effectively promote the function of the central nervous system, enhance the secretion of hormones and release neurotransmitters, and thereby increase libido.
7) Nourish body. It is rich in a lot of amino acids, vitamins and minerals, which can greatly benefit human health.
8) Build up strength. It can enhance your muscle glycogen stores, reduce post-exercise muscle protein degradation, and promote adaptive hypertrophy and hyperplasia in mitochondria in order to meet the energy needed for muscle contraction and rehabilitation. In addition, it still can significantly improve the synthesis of RNA and DNA in the liver and spleen of yang-deficiency animals. Hence, it is able to greatly enhance strength and relieve fatigue in yang deficiency syndrome.
9) Other effects. It can raise or decrease the nucleic acid content in the liver and spleen of yang-deficiency or yin-deficiency animals. In addition, it still can activate adrenal gland, release cortical hormone, and prompt the synthesis of DNA.
Biochemical Research Support
Cistanche deserticola extract contains cistanoside A, B, C, H, acteoside, 2′-acetyl acteoside, echinacoside, 7 phenylethanoid glycoside compositions, liriodendron, 8-epiloganic acid, daucosterol, betaine, β-sitosterol, mannitol, N,N-Dimethylglycine methyl ester, succinic acid, Triacontanol, polysaccharides, and 15 kinds of amino acids like phenylalanine, leucine, isoleucine, lysine, serine, etc.
Taste & Property Sweet, Salty, Warm
Organ Meridians Kidney, Large Intestine
·Tonifies the Kidneys, strengthens the Yang, benefits Jing and marrow and warms the Womb
– Kidney Yang Deficiency with impotence, spermatorrhea, urinary incontinence, post-urinary dripping and Cold pain in the lower back and knees;
– Cold from Deficiency of the Womb with infertility, excessive uterine bleeding or vaginal discharge
·Moistens the Intestines and facilitates the passage of stool
– Constipation due to dry Intestines from inadequate fluids in elderly or debilitated people or people with Deficient Qi or Blood (with a large dosage, it can be used as a stand-alone herb)