- Chinese Name Shan Zhu Yu 山茱萸
- Latin Name Cornus officinalis Sieb.et Zucc.
- Other Names Asiatic Cornelian Cherry Fruit, Dogwood Fruit, Japanese Dogwood Berry, Fructus Corni
- Used Part Fruit
- Specification Powdered Extract
Cornus Fruit Extract Powder
Cornus / Asiatic Dogwood – An Ancient Chinese Medicine
Cornus Fruit has been used for at least 2,000 years in Chinese herbal medicine. Its Chinese name is shan zhu yu. Cornus is shrub that grows to a height of 30 ft (10 m) in the woodland regions of East Asia from China to Korea.
Cornus is strongly associated with the kidneys, the reproductive system, and, to a lesser extent, the liver.
Cornus berries have a long history of use in a variety of medicinal tonics, including those used to treat excessive urination, incontinence, excessive sweating, excessive menstrual bleeding, decreased erectile function and premature ejaculation. Cornus is also an ingredient in formulas that treat ringing of the ears (tinnitus), poor hearing, blurred vision, dizziness, shock and trauma, and a wide range of other conditions.
Traditional and Modern Applications:
• Anti-Stimulation effects/anti-hypoxia
• Lowering Blood cholesterol/prevent arteriosclerosis
• Liver and kidney benefit
• Motility of sperm
• Controlling menstruation and arresting bleeding
• Cardiovascular effects
• Plasma glucose-lowering action
• Immune Systems effects/water decoction
Impotence, seminal emission, incontinence of urination, spontaneous sweating, menorrhagia, uterine bleeding, and aching back and knees.
Some studies have shown that the fruit of cornus has antibacterial and antifungal properties. In some studies extracts of the fruit inhibited the growth of some strains of Staphylococcus bacteria. It may also be effective against Salmonella and Shigella, both bacteria that cause gastrointestinal disturbances.
Cornus fruit is also used in formulas that strengthen the back and knees, both areas associated with kidney jing. It is also used in formulas that control body fluids and treat excessive sweating, urine leakage, sperm leakage (spermatorrhea), and heavy, prolonged menstruation. Cornus is also an ingredient in formulas that treat ringing of the ears (tinnitus), poor hearing, dizziness, extreme shock, and a wide range of other conditions.
Taste & Property Sour, Slightly Warm
Organ Meridians Liver, Kidney
• Stabilizes the Kidneys and astringes Jing and Body Fluids
– Leakage of fluids due to weak Jing with urinary frequency, incontinence, spermatorrhea and excessive sweating
• Stops excessive sweating and supports that which has collapsed
– Collapse of Qi with excessive sweating and shock
– Devastated Yang with excessive sweating and shock
– Sweating mistakenly induced as a treatment
• Tonifies Liver and Kidney Yin and strengthens Kidney Yang
– Lightheadedness, dizziness, soreness and weakness of the lower back and knees or impotence due to Kidney and Liver Yin Deficiency and Kidney Yang Deficiency
• Stabilizes the menses and stops bleeding
– Excessive uterine bleeding and prolonged menstruation due to Deficiency (weak effect)