- Chinese Name Yin Yang Huo 淫羊藿
- Latin Name Epimedium grandiflorum L.
- Other Names Herba Epimedii, Horny Goat Weed Leaf
- Used Part Leaves
- Specification Powdered Extract
Epimedium Extract Powder
Horny Goat Weed is one of the most valued tonics and natural sexual enhancers in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Its use dates back to at least 400 A.D., where it has been used as a tonic for the reproductive system and as a rejuvenating tonic. It is considered a top libido-lifter for men and women, restoring sexual desire and treating impotence. The Chinese claim that it improves circulation, restores energy and that the regular use of Horny Goat Weed slows the aging process, as it can improve the overall quality of life as well.
Scientific research has confirmed that Epimedium quickly releases sex hormones in men and women. Epimedium is also said to strengthen the bones and joints. It is also known to calm and relax the heart. Recent research indicates that Epimedium is a strong immune system regulator.
Epimedium is known as “Horny Goat Weed” because when goats eat it, they copulate. It is considered by Oriental people to be a powerful aphrodisiac. Up to date, over 60 species of Epimedium have been reported, but only five of these are recorded in the Chinese Pharmacopeia, namely, Epimedium bravicornum Maxim., Epimedium sagittatum Maxim., Epimedium koreanum Nakai, Epimedium pubescens Maxim. and Epimedium wushanense T.S. Ying.
Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium) Dosing
The appropriate dose of horny goat weed depends on several factors such as the user’s age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for horny goat weed. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
Taste & Property Acrid, Sweet, Warm
Organ Meridians Kidney, Liver
• Tonifies the Kidneys, strengthens Yang and increases the libido
– Kidney Yang Deficiency with impotence, infertility, urinary frequency, forgetfulness, withdrawal and painful, Cold lower back and knees
• Dispels Wind-Cold-Dampness and warms and unblocks the flow of Yang Qi (Strengthens the sinews and bones)
– Wind-Cold-Damp Bi with spasms, or cramps in the hands and feet, joint pain and numbness in the extremities
– Contractures, numbness or hemiplegia following Wind-Stroke