- Chinese Name Wu Wei Zi 五味子
- Latin Name Schisandra chinensis(Turcz.)Baill.
- Other Names Fructus Schisandrae, Schisandra Fruit, Chinese Magnolia-vine Fruit, Orange Magnolia-vine Fruit, Five Flavor Fruit
- Used Part Berry
- Specification Powdered Extract; Schisandrins
Schisandra Berry Extract Powder
Schizandra Berries have been used for thousands of years to promote the health of the skin, cleanse the liver, improve cognitive function and reduce stress.
Schisandra mainly grows in China, with those grown in the Northern Regions believed to be the most powerful (Schisandra Chinensis)
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, it is said that Schizandra can “calm the heart and quieten the spirit”.
What Is Schizandra Berry?
Schizandra is a woody vine which contains tiny red berries, which are collected late in the year when the fruits mature.
Schizandra Berry is believed in Traditional Chinese Medicine to be the most complete herb, possessing all five natural flavours, sour, sweet, salty, bitter and spicy. Chinese Medicine professes that all foods have one or several of the five flavours, each which have their own benefit to the body. Schizandra contains all five flavours.
The Health Benefits Of Schizandra Berry
Schizandra is often prescribed to promote the health of the skin, improve concentration and alertness, reduce anxiety and boost mood. It is believed Schisandra contains a natural astringent which protects the skin from outside harm.
Perhaps the most famous benefit of Schizandra Berries is their ability to gently cleanse and detoxify the liver. The main well-known benefits including:
• Antioxidant (Increases SOD)
• Detox the Liver (Supports both Phase 1 and Phase 2 Detoxification)
• Supports Concentration and Memory
• Increases Alertness
• Reduces Stress and Exhaustion.
• Improves Night Vision
• Slightly Calming
• Renown Beauty Herb Used by Many Women
• Supports Sexual Function
Taste & Property Sour, Sweet, (Acrid), (Bitter), (Salty), Warm
Organ Meridians Heart, Kidney, Lung (All 5 Zang)
• Astringes leakage of Lung Qi and stops cough
– Chronic cough and wheezing due to Lung Qi Deficiency
– Lung and Kidney Deficiency patterns
• Tonifies the Kidneys, binds up Essence (astringes Jing) and stops diarrhea and spermatorrhea
– Kidney Deficiency with nocturnal emissions, spermatorrhea, vaginal discharge and urinary frequency
– Spleen and Kidney Deficiency with daybreak diarrhea
• Astringes sweat and generates fluids
– Excessive sweating. especially when accompanied by thirst or a dry throat
– In combination, it is used for spontaneous sweating, nightsweats and wasting and thirsting disorder
• Quiets the Spirit and calms and contains Heart Qi
– Heart and Kidney Blood and Yin Deficiency, with irritability, palpitations, dream-disturbed sleep and insomnia
• Tonifies Qi
– Heart and Spleen Qi Deficiency